This is a partial list and is continually updated. Additional publications are listed on the County Health Rankings & Roadmaps Scholarly Publications page.
- Bryant A, Walsh-Felz A, Jacklitz, Lindberg, S. The impact of a community resource navigator program on patient trust. Wisconsin Medical Journal. 2020; epub ahead of print.
- Johnson S, Gold MR, Baciu A. Rethinking the leading health indicators for Healthy People 2030. JAMA Health Forum. Published online May 20, 2020. doi:10.1001/jamahealthforum.2020.0426
- Johnson S, Golden RN. A health equity mindset. Wisconsin Medical Journal. 2020;119(2):139-140.
Rolland B, Scholl L, Suryanarayanan S, Hatfield P, Judge K, Sorkness C, . . . Brasier A. Operationalization, implementation, and evaluation of collaboration planning: a pilot interventional study of nascent translational teams. Journal of Clinical and Translational Science. 2020; 1-20. doi:10.1017/cts.2020.515
- Thakur T, Barnett JH, LeCaire T, Bersch A, Peppard P, Malecki K, Moberg DP. Prescribed opiate use in Wisconsin from 2008-2016: Finding from the Survey of the Health of Wisconsin (SHOW). Wisconsin Medical Journal. 2020;119(2):102-109.
- Brown HW, Braun EJ, Wise ME, Moberg, DP, et al. Small-Group, Community-Member Intervention for Urinary and Bowel Incontinence: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 134(3):600–610. doi:10.1097/AOG.0000000000003422
- Brunner MJ, Sheehan SE, Yanke EM, Moberg DP. Joint design with providers of clinical decision support for value-based advanced shoulder imaging. Applied Clinical Informatics 2019; 11(01): 142-152. DOI: 10.105/s-0040-1701256
- Charron LM, Joyner HR, LaGro Jr, J, Walker JG. Research note: development of a comprehensive plan scorecard for healthy, active rural communities. Landscape and Urban Planning.
- Goodrich J, Lecoanet R, Peterson D. Wisconsin’s Youth Empowered Solutions Monitors and Improves Participant Outcomes. Focal Point: Youth, Young Adults, and Mental Health. 2019;33:30-32.
- Paltzer J, Moberg DP, Burns M, Brown R. Health care utilization after paraprofessional-administered substance use screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment: a multi-level cost-offset analysis. Medical Care. 2019;57: 673–679. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0000000000001162
- Weymouth L, Joyner H, Skalitzky E, Cotter A, Engstrom K, Jorgensen L. School wellness in Wisconsin: Evaluating policies for practices to prevent pediatric obesity. Journal of School Health. 2019;89(6):503-511. doi: 10.1111/josh.12759\
- Tanner-Smith, EE, Finch AJ, Hennessy, EA, Moberg, DP. Effects of recovery high school attendance on students’ mental health symptoms. Int. J. Mental Health and Addiction 2019; 17:181-190.
- Weimer DL, Moberg DP, French F, Tanner-Smith, EE and Finch, AJ. Net benefits of recovery high schools: Higher costs but increased sobriety and educational attainment. Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics, 2019; 22(3):109-120. PMCID: 6901088
- Bradley S, Vitous CA, Walsh-Felz A, Himmelgreen D. Food insecurity and healthcare decision making among mobile food pantry clients in Tampa Bay. Ecol Food Nutr. 2018 May-Jun;57(3):206-222. doi: 10.1080/03670244.2018.1455673.
- Caldwell D, Campbell R, Gottfredson D, Hickman M, MacArthur GJ, Moberg DP, Perez AL, Tinner L, Wolfe D. Examining subgroup effects by socioeconomic status of public health interventions targeting multiple risk behaviour in adolescence. Population Health Sciences, Bristol Medical School, University of Bristol, October 2018.
- Finch AJ, Tanner-Smith E, Hennessy E, Moberg DP. Recovery high schools: Effect of schools supporting recovery from substance use disorders. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2018;44(2):175-184. doi: 10.1080/00952990.2017.1354378.
- Friedsam D. Does the Rural-Urban Frame Help Explain Health Status? Health Affairs Blog. May 30, 2018.
- Glurich I, Schwei KM, Lindberg S, Shimpi N, Acharya A. Integrating medical-dental care for diabetic patients: qualitative assessment of provider perspectives. Health Promotion Practice, 2018 Jul;19(4):531-541. doi: 10.1177/1524839917737752.
- Kramer RD, Higgins JA, Godecker AL, Ehrenthal DB. Racial and ethnic differences in patterns of long-acting reversible contraceptive use in the United States, 2011-2015. Contraception. 2018 May;97(5):399-404. doi: 10.1016/j.contraception.2018.01.006.
- Tanner-Smith EE, Finch AJ, Hennessy EA, Moberg DP. Who attends recovery high schools after substance use treatment? A descriptive analysis of school aged youth. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2018 Jun;89:20-27. doi: 10.1016/j.jsat.2018.03.003
- Tinner L, Caldwell D, Hickman M, MacArthur GJ, Gottfredson D, Perez AL, Moberg DP, Wolfe D, and Campbell R. Examining subgroup effects by socioeconomic status of public health interventions targeting multiple risk behaviour in adolescence. BMC Public Health. 2018;18:1180.
- Maslowsky J, Whelan Capell J, Moberg DP, Brown RL. Universal School-Based Implementation of Screening Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment to Reduce and Prevent Alcohol, Marijuana, Tobacco, and Other Drug Use: Process and Feasibility. Subst Abuse. 2017 Dec 19;11:1178221817746668. doi: 10.1177/1178221817746668.
- Paltzer J, Brown RL, Burns M, Moberg DP, Mullahy J, Sethi AK, Weimer D. Substance Use Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment Among Medicaid Patients in Wisconsin: Impacts on Healthcare Utilization and Costs. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2017 Jan;44(1):102-112. doi: 10.1007/s11414-016-9510-2.
- Poehlmann-Tynan, J., Burnson, C., Runion, H., Weymouth, L. (2017). Attachment in young children with incarcerated fathers. Development and Psychopathology, 29, 389-404.
- Sayavedra N, Hogle JA, Moberg DP. Using publication data to evaluate a Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) career development program: Early outcomes from KL2 scholars. J Clin Transl Sci. 2017 Dec;1(6):352-360. doi: 10.1017/cts.2018.1.
- Adams A, Christens B, Meinen A, Korth A, Remington P, Lindberg S, Schoeller D. The Obesity Prevention Initiative: A statewide initiative to improve child health in Wisconsin. Wisconsin Medical Journal, 2016; 115: 220-223.
- Bowser J, Martinez-Donate A, Carrel A, Allen DB, Moberg, DP. Disparities in Fitness and Physical Activity Among Children. Wisconsin Medical Journal, 2016; 115: 245-250.
- Eggers S, Remington PL, Ryan K, Nieto FJ, Peppard P, Malecki K. Obesity Prevalence and Health Consequences: Findings From the Survey of the Health of Wisconsin, 2008-2013. Wisconsin Medical Journal, 2016; 115: 238-244.
- Gregor L, Remington P, Lindberg S, Ehrenthal D. Prevalence of pre-pregnancy obesity, 2011-2014. Wisconsin Medical Journal, 2016; 115: 228-232.
- Hilgendorf A, Stedman J, Inzeo PT, McCall A, Burrows J, Krueger S, Christens B, Pollard E, Meinen A, Korth A, Wolf L, Adams A. Lessons from a Pilot Community-Driven Approach for Obesity Prevention. Wisconsin Medical Journal, 2016; 115: 275-279
- Laudet AB, Harris K, Kimball T, Winters KC, Moberg DP. In college and in recovery: Reasons for joining a Collegiate Recovery Program. Journal of American College Health. 2016;64(3):238-246.
- Lindberg S, Anderson C, Pillai P, Tandias A, Arndt B, Hanrahan L. Prevalence and predictors of unhealthy weight gain in pregnancy. Wisconsin Medical Journal, 2016; 115: 233-237. PMCID: In progress.
- Lindberg SM, DeBoth A, Anderson CK. Effect of a best practice alert on gestational weight gain, health services, and pregnancy outcomes. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 2016; 20: 2169–2178.
- Martinez-Donate AP, Valdivia-Espino J, Meinen A, Escaron AL, Roubal A, Nieto FJ, Malecki K. Neighborhood Disparities in the Restaurant Food Environment. Wisconsin Medical Journal, 2016; 115: 251-258.
- Meinen A, Hilgendorf A, Korth AL, Christens BD, Breuer C, Joyner H, Polzin M, Adams A, Wolfe D, Braun A, Hoiting J, Paulson J, Cullen B, Stader K. The Wisconsin Early Childhood Obesity Prevention Initiative: An Example of Statewide Collective Impact. Wisconsin Medical Journal, 2016; 115: 269-274.
- Poehlmann-Tynan, J., Vigna, A., Weymouth, L., Gerstein, E., Burnson, C. et al. (2016). A pilot study of contemplative practices with economically disadvantaged preschoolers: Children’s empathic and self-regulatory behaviors. Mindfulness, 7(1), 46-58.
- Priess-Groban HA, Lindberg SM. Gender intensification. In Encyclopedia of Adolescence. Levesque R, editor. New York, NY: Springer; 2016.
- Ryan K, Pillai P, Remington P, Malecki K, Lindberg S. Development of an obesity prevention dashboard for Wisconsin. Wisconsin Medical Journal, 2016; 115: 224-227.
- Sheehan SE, Coburn JA, Singh H, Vanness DJ, Sittig DF, Moberg DP, Safdar N, Lee KS, Brunner MC. Reducing Unnecessary Shoulder MRI Examinations Within a Capitated Health Care System: A Potential Role for Shoulder Ultrasound. Journal of the American College of Radiology, 2016; 13(7): 780-787.
- Traun BD, Flood TL, Meinen A, Daniels M, Remington PL. A Qualitative Pilot Study of Pediatricians’ Approach to Childhood Obesity. WMJ. 2016 Jun;115(3):134-8.
- Anderson CK, Hastmann TJ, Lindberg SM, Smith AM, Lindheim SR, Whigham L. Excess gestational weight gain in low-income overweight and obese women: a qualitative study. Nutrition Education & Behavior, 2015; 47(5): 404 -411.
- Laudet AB, Harris K, Kimball T, Winters KC, Moberg DP. Characteristics of students participating in collegiate recovery programs: a national survey. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2015 Apr;51:38-46. doi: 10.1016/j.jsat.2014.11.004.
- Witt WP, Wisk LE, Cheng ER, Mandell K, Chatterjee D, Wakeel F, Godecker AL, Zarak D. Determinants of cesarean delivery in the US: a lifecourse approach. Matern Child Health J. 2015 Jan;19(1):84-93. doi: 10.1007/s10995-014-1498-8.
- Brown RL, Moberg PD, Allen JB, Peterson CT, Saunders LA, Croyle MD, Lecoanet RM, Linnan SM, Briedenbach K, Caldwell SB. A team approach to systematic behavioral screening and intervention. Am J Manag Care. 2014 Apr 1;20(4):e113-21.
- Burns M, DeLeire T, Dague L, Leininger L, Voskuil K, Friedsam D. The Effects of Expanding Public Insurance to Rural Wisconsin Low-Income Childless Adults. HSR Health Serv Res. 2014 Dec;49 Suppl 2:2173-87.
- Dague L, DeLeire T, Friedsam D, Leininger L, Meier S, Voskuil K. What Fraction of Medicaid Enrollees Have Private Insurance at Time of Enrollment? Estimates from Administrative Data. Inquiry. 2014.
- Dague L. 2014. The effect of Medicaid premiums on enrollment: A regression discontinuity approach. Journal of Health Economics 37: 1-12.
- Dague L, DeLeire T, Leininger L. 2014. The Effect of Public Insurance Coverage for Childless Adults on Labor Supply. National Bureau of Economic Research. NBER Working Paper No. 20111. Issued in May 2014
- Finch AJ, Moberg DP, Krupp AL. Continuing Care in High Schools: A Descriptive Study of Recovery High School Programs. J Child Adolesc Subst Abuse. 2014;23(2):116-129.
- Friedsam D. Different Parts of The Same Elephant: Medicaid Research and State Expansion Decisions. Health Affairs Blog. September 19, 2014.
- Hogle JA, Moberg DP. Success case studies contribute to evaluation of complex research infrastructure. Eval Health Prof. 2014 Mar;37(1):98-113. doi: 10.1177/0163278713500140.
- Laudet A, Harris K, Kimball T, Winters KC, Moberg DP. Collegiate Recovery Communities Programs: What do we know and what do we need to know? J Soc Work Pract Addict. 2014 Jan;14(1):84-100.
- Leininger L, Friedsam D, Voskuil K, DeLeire T. Predicting High-Need Cases among New Medicaid Enrollees. American J Managed Care. 2014 Sep 1;20(9):e399-407.
- Moberg DP, Bowser J, Burd L, Elliott AJ, Punyko J, Wilton G, Fetal alcohol syndrome surveillance: age of syndrome manifestation in case ascertainment. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2014 Sep;100(9):663-9. doi: 10.1002/bdra.23245.
- Moberg DP, Finch AJ, Lindsley SM. Recovery High Schools: Students and Responsive Academic and Therapeutic Services. Peabody J Educ. 2014;89(2):165-182.
- DeLeire T, Dague L, Leininger L, Voskuil K, Friedsam D. 2013. Wisconsin experience indicates that expanding public insurance to low-income childless adults has health care impacts. Health Affairs. 32(6):1037-1045.
- Paltzer J, Black P, Moberg DP. Evaluating Community Readiness to Implement Environmental and Policy-Based Alcohol Abuse Prevention Strategies in Wisconsin. J Alcohol Drug Educ. 2013 Dec;57(3):27-50.
- Wilton G, Moberg DP, Van Stelle KR, Dold LL, Obmascher K, Goodrich J. A randomized trial comparing telephone versus in-person brief intervention to reduce the risk of an alcohol-exposed pregnancy. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2013 Nov-Dec;45(5):389-94. doi: 10.1016/j.jsat.2013.06.006.
- Carrel AL, Bowser J, White D, Moberg DP, Weaver B, Hisgen J, Eickhoff J, Allen DB. Standardized childhood fitness percentiles derived from school-based testing. J Pediatr. 2012 Jul;161(1):120-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2012.01.036.
- DeLeire T, Leininger L, Dague L, Mok S, Friedsam D. 2012. Wisconsin’s Experience with Medicaid Auto-Enrollment: Lessons for Other States. Medicare & Medicaid Research and Review. 2012. 2(2).
- Dague L, DeLeire T, Friedsam D, et al. Estimates of Crowd-Out from a Public Health Insurance Expansion Using Administrative Data. NBER Working Paper No. 17009. Issued in May 2011.
- Leininger LJ. Friedsam, D, Mok S, Dague L, Hynes E, Bergum A, Aksamitauskas M, Oliver TR, DeLeire T. 2011. Wisconsin’s BadgerCare Plus Reform: Impact on Low-Income Families’ Enrollment and Retention in Public Coverage. HSR Health Services Research 46 (1 Part 2): 336-347.
- Getzin AE, Knox KE, Bergum A, Read L, Jenkins C, Rieselbach R, Kniss, C, Oliver TR, Friedsam, D. Wisconsin Physician Opinions on Health Care Reform. Wisconsin Medical Journal Vol. 108, No. 6
- Knox K, Getzin A, Bergum A, McBride P, Rieselbach R, Friedsam D. Short Report: Factors that Affect Specialty Choice and Career Plans of Wisconsin’s Medical Students. Wisconsin Medical Journal 107(8): 369-373.
- Remington PL, Moberg DP, Booske, BL, Ceraso, M, Friedsam, D, Kindig, DA. Dissemination research: the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute. Wisconsin Medical Journal, 2009, 108(5):236-9, 255.
- Wilton G, Moberg DP, Fleming MF. The effect of brief alcohol intervention on postpartum depression. The American Journal of Maternal/Child Nursing 2009, 34(5): 297-302.
- Friedsam D, Rieselbach R. The Ailing Health Care System: SOAP Note for Physician Leadership. Wisconsin Medical Journal, 2008; 107(8): 363-366.
- Leonhardt KK, Pagel P; Bonin, D, Moberg DP; Dvorak ML, Hatlie, MJ. Creating an Accurate Medication List in the Outpatient Setting Through a Patient-Centered Approach. Pp. 319-333 in Henriksen K, Battles JB, Keyes MA, Grady ML, editors. Advances in patient safety: New directions and alternative approaches. Vol. 3. Performance and Tools. AHRQ Publication No. 08-0034-3. Rockville, MD: AHRQ; August 2008.
- Moberg, D.P, and Finch, A. Recovery high schools: A descriptive study of school programs and students. Journal of Groups in Addiction and Recovery 2008, 2 (2-4): 128-161. NIHMSID# 60666
- Florence-Lackey JF, Borkin SS, Torti V, Welnetz T, Moberg DP. Behind the findings: Yes, the science explorations program worked but why? Curator 2007, 50(3): 319-340.
- McDonald L, Moberg DP, Brown R, Rodriguez-Espiricueta I, Flores NI, Burke MP, Coover G. Afterschool multifamily groups: A randomized trial involving low-income urban Latino children. Children and Schools 2006; 28, 1: 25-34.
- Warren K, Moberg DP, McDonald, L. FAST and the arms race: the interaction of group aggression and the families and schools together program in the aggressive and delinquent behaviors of inner-city elementary school students. The Journal of Primary Prevention 2006, 27 (1), 27-45.
- Bandi P, Remington PL, Moberg DP. Progress in reducing cigarette consumption: the Wisconsin Tobacco Control Program, 2001-2003. Wisconsin Medical Journal 2006, 105, (5) 45-49.
- Roberts RG, Friedsam D, Beasley JW, Helstad C, Moberg DP. The State of Quality Reports: Comparing States by Their Rankings. Wisconsin Medical Journal, 2006; 105(8):60-66.
- Warren KS, Schoppelrey, DP Moberg, M McDonald. A model of contagion through competition in the aggressive behaviors of elementary school children. Journal of Abnormal School Psychology, 2005; 33,283-292.
- Ahrens D, Bandi P, Ullsvik J, Moberg DP. Who smokes? A demographic analysis of Wisconsin smokers. Wisconsin Medical Journal 2005; 104 (4): 18-22.
- Van Stelle KR, Moberg DP. Outcome data for MICA clients after participation in an institutional therapeutic community. Journal of Offender Rehabilitation, 2004; 39 (1): 37-62.
- Van Stelle, KR, Blumer C, Moberg DP. Treatment retention of dually diagnosed offenders in an institutional therapeutic community. Behavioral Sciences and the Law, 2004; 22:585-597.
- Andrews JC, Netemeyer RG, Burton S, Moberg DP, Christiansen A. Understanding adolescent intentions to smoke. Journal of Marketing, 2004; 68: 110-123.
- Friedsam D, Haug G, Rust M, Lake A. Tribal Benefits Counseling Program: Expanding Health Care Opportunities for Tribal Members. Am J Public Health 2003; 93: 1634-1636.
- McDonald L, Moberg, DP. Families and School Together: FAST strategies for increasing involvement of all parents in schools and preventing drug abuse. In W. B. Hansen, S. M. Giles & M. D. Fearnow-Kenney (Eds.), Improving prevention effectiveness (pp. 235-250). Greensboro, NC: Tanglewood Research; 2001.
- Moberg DP, Rettammel RJ. Tobacco use trends and correlates among students in the Madison Metropolitan School District. Wisconsin Medical Journal, 2001; 100(3), 43-48.
- Piper DL, Moberg DP, King MJ. The Healthy for Life Project: Behavioral outcomes. Journal of Primary Prevention, 2000; 21(1), 47-73.
- FitzGerald CJ, Havisto P, Dobbe C. Creation of a cookbook — tribal cooking: Traditional stories and favorite recipes. Journal of Nutrition Education, 1998; 30(5), 346-347.
- Florence Lackey J, Moberg DP. Understanding the onset of intercourse among urban American adolescents: A cultural framework using qualitative and quantitative data. Human Organization, 1998; 57(4), 491-501.
- Moberg DP, Piper DL. The Healthy for Life Project: Sexual risk behavior outcomes. AIDS Education and Prevention, 1998; 10(2), 128-148.
- Van Stelle KR, Allen G, Moberg DP. Alcohol and drug prevention among American Indian families: The Family Circles Program [Also published as Substance abuse in multi-ethnic communities. New York: Haworth]. Drugs and Society, 1998; 12(1/2), 53-60.
- Florence Lackey J, Moberg DP, Balistreri, M. By whose standards? Reflections on empowerment evaluation and grassroots groups. Evaluation Practice, 1997; 18, 137-146.
- Moberg DP, Fuller DD, Gossage P, Littman PS, Mulvey KP, Shwartz M, et al. The Target Cities Program: Management information systems for drug abuse treatment. In P. F. Brennan & S. J. Schneider (Eds.), Information systems for community health (pp. 135-157). New York: Springer Verlag; 1997.
- Schulz R, Scheckler WE, Moberg DP, Johnson PR. Changing nature of physician satisfaction with health maintenance organization and fee-for-service practices. Journal of Family Practice, 1997; 45, 321-330.
- Krahn D, Piper DL, King MJ, Olson L, Kurth C, Moberg DP. Dieting in sixth grade predicts alcohol use in ninth grade. Journal of Substance Abuse, 1996; 8, 293-301.
- Gustafson DH, Bosworth K, Treece C, Wu YC, Palmer CG, Moberg DP, Hawkins RP. Predicting adolescent problem use of marijuana: development and testing of a Bayesian model. Int J Addict. 1994;29(7):861-86.
- Hill H, Piper D, Mobeg DP. “US Planning Prevention for Them”: The Social Construction of Community Prevention for Youth. Int Q Community Health Educ. 1994 Jan 1;15(1):65-90. doi: 10.2190/09F9-UCFE-0GTM-8EDV.
Scheckler WE, Schulz R, Moberg DP. Physician satisfaction with the development of HMOs in Dane County: 1983-1993. Wisconsin Medical Journal, 1994; 93(8): 444-446.
- Moberg DP, Piper DL. An outcome evaluation of project model health: a middle school health promotion program. Health Educ Q. 1990;17(1):37-51.
- Jones RB, Moberg DP. Correlates of smokeless tobacco use in a male adolescent population. Am J Public Health. 1988;78(1):61-3.