The Wisconsin Healthiest State Initiative represents a collective effort to advance health equity in Wisconsin. Spearheaded by MATCH, the initiative consists of convening statewide partners, setting shared priorities around heath equity, leading workgroups to make progress on shared priorities, and hosting statewide Summits. Read more below about this emerging effort and learn how to get involved.
The Healthiest State Convenings aim to:
- Convene and support diverse leaders in setting and taking action on a common agenda to align and catalyze efforts;
- Provide capacity building and support to address cross-cutting needs, challenges, and opportunities; and
- Advance a shared narrative that expands the understanding of what shapes health and equity.
During odd years, Agenda Setting Convenings are held to identify shared priorities. In even years, a statewide Summit is held to provide training and capacity building and to support coalition building and further alignment around priorities. The outcomes and planning for these events are linked to shared action between convenings. The hope is that these efforts will lead to a strong and diverse network of effective leaders and coalitions, working together to achieve sustainable changes to advance health equity in Wisconsin.
Six health equity priorities were identified in the 2017 Healthiest State Agenda Setting Meeting.
- Center leadership of those most impacted by inequity
- Build diverse alliances and partnerships
- Declare racism a public health emergency
- Develop a health equity narrative with strong frames
- Health equity legislative/policy agenda
- Identify and support public health champions
Workgroups were established to advance work on the health equity priorities and partners came together in September of 2018 at the inaugural Healthiest State Summit to build capacity and continue action around these priorities. The two priorities that did not have workgroups were “build diverse alliances and partnerships” and “identify and support public health champions”. Both of these priorities were embedded goals within each workgroup and were also represented as training tracks at the 2018 Healthiest State Summit.
Centering the Voices of Those Most Impacted Workgroup
Goal: To support work to center voices of those most impacted by inequity in health equity work
Work to date:
- Developed principles regarding Centering Voices of those most impacted by inequity
- Featured two panels on Centering Voices on the 2018 Healthiest State Summit focused on criminal justice organizing and youth organizing
Health Equity Narrative Workgroup
Goal: Develop and disseminate a health equity narrative
Work to date: Work is in progress to develop resources and a narrative guide to advance health equity (forthcoming)
Health Equity Policy Platform Workgroup
- Support connections between people working on social determinants of health and health equity
- Collect information on what folks are doing in social determinants of health and health equity
- Use data to inform priorities and crosswalks of policy agendas
- Identify needs for resources
- Support local policy platform development
Work to date: Development of a Roadmap to Build Health Equity Policy Agendas (forthcoming)
Declaring Racism a Public Health Crisis Workgroup
Goal: Increase resources, training and action to address racism as a public health crisis
Work to date:
- Partnered with the Wisconsin Public Health Association’s Racial Equity workgroup to support passing the racism resolution, “Racism is a Public Health Crisis” Resolution, in May 2018
- Hosted Understanding Racism as a Public Health Issue Webinar prior to the 2018 Healthiest State Summit
- Sign-on to the Racism is a Public Health Crisis in Wisconsin Declaration
For more information about the Health Equity Priority Workgroups, contact Kristi Anderson (email@example.com).
A comprehensive training plan to support the implementation of Health Equity Priority Workgroup products and tools is in development. More information will be posted soon.
For more information about the emerging training efforts, contact Raymond Neal (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Save the Date!
2020 Healthiest State Summit
September 9 – 11, 2020
KI Convention Center, Green Bay
The 2019 Healthiest State Agenda Setting Convening will be held on September 23 – 24, 2019 in Madison, WI. For more information, please contact Ann McCall (email@example.com).