D. Paul Moberg, PhD
D. Paul Moberg, PhD, is a Research Professor in the Department of Population Health Sciences in the University of Wisconsin, School of Medicine and Public Health and the Senior Faculty Advisor for the Evaluation Research Group within the UW Population Health Institute.
He also serves as Director of Evaluation for the UW’s Institute for Clinical Translational Research (CTSA), and as Co-Investigator for the Evaluation and Surveillance Program of the Obesity Prevention Initiative. Paul’s PhD was earned in sociology with a minor in evaluation research. He has been involved in evaluation research for over 40 years.
His work has been funded by numerous federal, state and local organizations and foundations, including the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
While Paul’s professional identity is that of an evaluation research practitioner, his substantive research and publications have focused on health promotion, prevention and intervention programs for children and adolescents; substance abuse treatment; maternal and child health; school health and geriatric services. His major areas of funded research have been substance abuse prevention with funding from NIDA, SAMHSA and the CDC, and Recovery High Schools, which he has been studying since 1992 with funding from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
- Moberg, D. P. (1976). Treatment outcome for earlier phase alcoholics. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 273, 543-552.
- Moberg, D. P. (1977). Consumer evaluation of an alcoholism treatment program. In F. A. Seixas (Ed.), Currents in Alcoholism (Vol. 2, pp. 525-534). New York: Grune and Stratton.
- Moberg, D. P. (1978). Treatment outcome for earlier phase alcoholics II: Nine month follow-up. In F. A. Seixas (Ed.), Currents in Alcoholism (Vol. 4, pp. 457-474). New York: Grune and Stratton.
- Jacobson, G. R., Niles, D., Moberg, D. P., Mandehr, B., & Dusso, L. (1979). Identifying alcoholics and problem drinking drivers: Wisconsin's field test of a modified NCA criteria for the diagnosis of alcoholism. In M. Gallanter (Ed.), Currents in alcoholism (Vol. 6). New York: Grune and Stratton.
- Size, T., Daniels, B., Stephenson, J., & Moberg, D. P. (1981). An adolescent alcohol/drug abuse intervention program beginning in the emergency department. Journal of Ambulatory Care Management, 4(1), 73-79.
- Moberg, D. P., Klein, P. L., & Krause, W. R. (1982). Post-treatment drinking behavior among inpatients from an industrial alcoholism program. International Journal of the Addictions, 17, 549-567.
- Moberg, D. P. (1983). Identifying adolescents with alcohol problems: A field test of the adolescent alcohol involvement scale. Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 44, 701-721.
- Stephenson, J. N., Moberg, D. P., Daniels, B., & Robertson, J. F. (1984). Treating the intoxicated adolescent. Journal of the American Medical Association, 252(14), 1884-1888.
- Jones, R., & Moberg, D. P. (1988). Correlates of smokeless tobacco use in a male adolescent population. American Journal of Public Health, 78(1), 61-63.
- Moberg, D. P., Remington, P. L., Anderson, D., Peterson, C., Anderson, H., & Boss, L. (1989, September). Wisconsin studies ways to inform legislators. Chronic Disease Notes and Reports, 2(2), 11-12.
- Moberg, D. P., & Piper, D. L. (1990). Obtaining active parental consent via telephone in adolescent substance abuse prevention research. Evaluation Review, 14, 315-323.
- Moberg, D. P., & Piper, D. L. (1990). An outcome evaluation of Project Model Health: A middle school health promotion program. Health Education Quarterly, 17(1), 37-51.
- Moberg, D. P., & Hahn, L. (1991). The adolescent drug involvement scale. Journal of Adolescent Chemical Dependency, 2(1), 75-88.
- Moberg, D. P., Piper, D. L., Wu, J., & Serlin, R. C. (1993). When total randomization is impossible: Nested randomized assignment. Evaluation Review, 17(3), 271-291.
- Piper, D. L., King, M. J., & Moberg, D. P. (1993). Implementing a middle school health promotion research project: Lessons our textbooks didn't teach us. Evaluation and Program Planning, 16, 171-180.
- Gustafson D. M., Bosworth, K., Treece, C., Wu, Y.-C., Palmer, C. G. S., Moberg, D. P., et al. (1994). Predicting adolescent problem use of marijuana: Development and testing of a Bayesian model. International Journal of the Addictions, 29(7), 861-886.
- Mauser, E., Van Stelle, K. R., & Moberg, D. P. (1994). The economic impact of diverting substance-abusing offenders into treatment. Crime and Delinquency, 40, 568-588.
- Van Stelle, K. R., Mauser, E., & Moberg, D. P. (1994). Recidivism to the criminal justice system of substance-abusing offenders diverted into treatment. Crime and Delinquency, 40, 175-196.
- Hill, H. L., Piper, D. L., & Moberg, D. P. (1994-1995). Us planning for them: The social construction of community prevention activities for youth. International Quarterly of Community Health Education, 15(1), 65-89.
- Krahn, D., Piper, D. L., King, M. J., Olson, L., Kurth, C., & Moberg, D. P. (1996). Dieting in sixth grade predicts alcohol use in ninth grade. Journal of Substance Abuse, 8, 293-301.
- Florence Lackey, J., Moberg, D. P., & Balistreri, M. (1997). By whose standards? Reflections on empowerment evaluation and grassroots groups. Evaluation Practice, 18, 137-146.
- Moberg, D. P., Fuller, D. D., Gossage, P., Littman, P. S., Mulvey, K. P., Shwartz, M., et al. (1997). The Target Cities Program: Management information systems for drug abuse treatment. In P. F. Brennan & S. J. Schneider (Eds.), Information systems for community health (pp. 135-157). New York: Springer Verlag.
- Schulz, R., Scheckler, W. E., Moberg, D. P., & Johnson P R. (1997). Changing nature of physician satisfaction with health maintenance organization and fee-for-service practices. Journal of Family Practice, 45, 321-330.
- Florence Lackey, J., & Moberg, D. P. (1998). Understanding the onset of intercourse among urban American adolescents: A cultural framework using qualitative and quantitative data. Human Organization, 57(4), 491-501.
- Moberg, D. P., & Piper, D. L. (1998). The Healthy for Life Project: Sexual risk behavior outcomes. AIDS Education and Prevention, 10(2), 128-148.
- Van Stelle, K. R., Allen, G., & Moberg, D. P. (1998). Alcohol and drug prevention among American Indian families: The Family Circles Program [Also published as Substance abuse in multi-ethnic communities. New York: Haworth]. Drugs and Society, 12(1/2), 53-60.
- Piper, D. L., Moberg, D. P., & King, M. J. (2000). The Healthy for Life Project: Behavioral outcomes. Journal of Primary Prevention, 21(1), 47-73.
- McDonald, L., & Moberg, D. P. (2001). Families and School Together: FAST strategies for increasing involvement of all parents in schools and preventing drug abuse. In W. B. Hansen, S. M. Giles & M. D. Fearnow-Kenney (Eds.), Improving prevention effectiveness (pp. 235-250). Greensboro, NC: Tanglewood Research.
- Moberg, D. P., & Rettammel, R. J. (2001). Tobacco use trends and correlates among students in the Madison Metropolitan School District. Wisconsin Medical Journal, 100(3), 43-48.
- Van Stelle, K. R., & Moberg, D. P. (2004). Outcome data for MICA clients after participation in an institutional therapeutic community. Journal of Offender Rehabilitation 39 (1): 37-62.
- Van Stelle, K. R., Blumer, C. & Moberg, D. P. (2004). Treatment retention of dually diagnosed offenders in an institutional therapeutic community. Behavioral Sciences and the Law 22:585-597.
- Andrews, J.C., Netemeyer, R.G., Burton, S., Moberg, D.P., Christiansen, A. (2004). Understanding adolescent intentions to smoke. Journal of Marketing 68: 110-123.
- Warren KS, Schoppelrey, DP Moberg, M McDonald. A model of contagion through competition in the aggressive behaviors of elementary school children. Journal of Abnormal School Psychology, 2005; 33,283-292.
- Ahrens D, Bandi P, Ullsvik J, Moberg DP. Who smokes? A demographic analysis of Wisconsin smokers. Wisconsin Medical Journal 2005; 104 (4): 18-22.
- McDonald L, Moberg DP, Brown R, Rodriguez-Espiricueta I, Flores NI, Burke MP, Coover G. Afterschool multifamily groups: A randomized trial involving low-income urban Latino children. Children and Schools 2006; 28, 1: 25-34.
- Warren K, Moberg DP, McDonald, L. FAST and the arms race. The Journal of Primary Prevention 2006, 27 (1), 27-45.
- Bandi P, Remington PL, Moberg DP. Progress in reducing cigarette consumption: the Wisconsin Tobacco Control Program, 2001-2003. Wisconsin Medical Journal 2006, 105, (5) 45-49.
- Roberts RG, Friedsam D, Beasley JW, Helstad C, Moberg DP. The state of quality reports: comparing states by their ranking. Wisconsin Medical Journal 2006, 105 (8) 60-66.
- Florence Lackey, J.F., Borkin, S.S., Torti, V., Welnetz, T., Moberg, D.P.. Behind the findings: Yes, the science explorations program worked but why? Curator 2007, 50(3): 319-340.
- Moberg, D.P, and Finch, A. Recovery high schools: A descriptive study of school programs and students. Journal of Groups in Addiction and Recovery 2008, 2 (2-4): 128-161. NIHMSID# 60666
- Leonhardt KK, Pagel P; Bonin, D, Moberg DP; Dvorak ML, Hatlie, MJ. Creating an Accurate Medication List in the Outpatient Setting Through a Patient-Centered Approach. Pp. 319-333 in Henriksen K, Battles JB, Keyes MA, Grady ML, editors. Advances in patient safety: New directions and alternative approaches. Vol. 3. Performance and Tools. AHRQ Publication No. 08-0034-3. Rockville, MD: AHRQ; August 2008.
- Remington PL, Moberg DP, Booske, BL, Ceraso, M, Friedsam, D, Kindig, DA. Dissemination research: the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute. Wisconsin Medical Journal, 2009, 108(5):236-9, 255.
- Wilton G, Moberg DP, Fleming MF. The effect of brief alcohol intervention on postpartum depression. The American Journal of Maternal/Child Nursing 2009, 34(5): 297-302.
D. Paul Moberg
UW Population Health Institute
610 Walnut Street, 885 WARF
Madison, WI 53726
Phone: (608) 263-1304
Fax: (608) 262-6404